When the kidney arrives at the Transplant Unit
- The kidney will be delivered to the Transplant Unit HDU Ward 215.
- It is the responsibility of Ward 215 Nursing staff to check that the kidney is surrounded by sufficient ice, and to top it up as necessary.
- Renal recipient transplant coordinator to give approximate arrival time of kidney. If the kidney has not arrived within 30 minutes of this time please contact renal recipient transplant coordinator.
- Two kidneys may arrive in Unit at the same time as the retrieval team returns. These kidneys will be allocated according to ODT and one of both may need to be sent to another centre.
- In this case the box containing the kidney to be sent to another unit should not be disturbed. It will be picked up by the courier service as arranged by ODT. ODT will inform the transplant unit where the kidney is goind. Transplant unit to clearly write name and address of where the kidney is going. Check with ODT whether it is right or left kidney to be sent. If in any doubt contact the SNOD.