Renal recipient coordinator performs the following tasks:
- Contacts the patient.
- Arranges transport for the patient and his/her notes to the renal transplant unit.
- Alerts renal transplant unit and give details of patient and dialysis needs.
- Alerts the renal registrar with the patient details.
- Alerts Hospital at night to clerk patient or any other specific requests.
- Alerts the tissue typist with the patient details.
- It is the responsibility of the transplant coordinator to organise theatre, to inform the anaesthetist and on call theatre person to book the agreed timing for the operation.
- It is the responsibility of the renal registrar/consultant nephrologist on call to ensure the chosen patient is adequately dialysed and medically fit prior to operation.
- The on-call renal registrar or HAN also liaises with SNBTS staff regarding any transfusion requirements.
Fife, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness patient arrangements
- Transplant coordinator will discuss the patient with the surgeon and patientâ€™s local Nephrologist. If the kidney is to be accepted, the transplant coordinator will also inform the RIE Consultant Nephrologist on-call.
- Either the local nephrologist or transplant coordinator contacts the patient. The renal recipient transplant coordinator arranges transport of the patient to the RIE.
- The transplant coordinator or local Nephrologist arranges for the patientâ€™s notes to be sent to the transplant unit ASAP.
- If the patient requires dialysis, this should be organised in Edinburgh. The MRSA and virology status of the patient must be known.